Thursday, November 12, 2015

This is news?

I don't watch the news on television. I'm not even sure where I would find that channel. I know they keep the TV's in the breakrooms at work on CNN but not the breakroom I am closest to because it's such a small area. They can't fit one of those big televisions they put in all the other breakrooms in there. But even at home I don't watch.

I will find myself reading articles online. Sometimes that will happen at work, in-between finishing something and before starting something else. I'll go to a couple of news websites to gather anything that catches my eye to read. Unfortunately, somtimes the things that are available to read aren't all that interesting and I have to turn away and search for something else. I guess that is why they all try really hard to come up with something that will catch your attention right away. They know the dangers of how quickly someone will click you away and move on.

I wrote down some of the actual headlines that I saw yesterday.

Travel section: The best ski escapes for non-skiers
Food section: Never run out of alcohol at your party again
Health & Fitness: Things you shouldn't do before going to bed
Entertainment: Giada DeLaurentiis' new boyfriend revealed

I didn't read any of them but remained stumped about the sheer ridiculousness of the headlines. They obviously didn't have any depth to them. How could they?

The travel section must be getting a kick-back from the ski resorts to advertise something to encourage skiers to bring they partners who hate to ski along on the trip. Look, here are all the things they can distract themselves and pay more money for while you go ski!

The food section is really reaching because who runs out of alcohol at a party? Do you really need an article to tell you how not to do that? Maybe they should concentrate on not running out of food.

I'm not sure about you, but I can't imagine there are that many things you shouldn't do before going to bed. I tried to think up a few but I just can't come up with anything that makes any real difference.

And revealing someone's boyfriend might be big entertainment to some but Giada is a chef. Are we having a cross-over moment, a left-over from another section? Maybe there is only one writer for all these articles and that was the only article left to fill up all the sections.

I don't know. Maybe that is why I don't know where the news station is located on my television. At least with online headlines I can skip over them pretty quickly and click myself away. I'd be wasting a whole lot more time watching these silly stories waiting for something that is news-worth to show up.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT