Wednesday, November 4, 2015

10 not 5

I've just set a timer for 10 minutes. It's supposed to be a way to get your incentive going. The idea is you aren't doing something because of all the many reasons you have for not doing it so doing it for a short time will show you how to get started. So many times the main reason you don't get going on what you want to do is because you don't have time. You go to great lengths to make that a feasible excuse. Even when you know you have time you will sometimes rearrange the things in your life and find out, "Oh look. No time." Point that rigidly straight index finger down at that trim wrist. "See." Shrug. 

So I've come across yet another piece of information that explains all the things I already know about this. It suggested you sit down and do whatever it is you are not getting done for five minutes. Just five minutes. You have that much time. You can do it. Do this every day until you get past the idea and excuse for not doing it. It’s only five minutes a day.

So, I've decided to give myself a built-in excuse for why this won’t work. I went for 10 minutes. Sure. I knew what I was up to and doing. I knew there was the possibility of there being a reason behind only five minutes. You might actually be able to do five minutes. And when you finish, you get to jump up and celebrate and feel good and say, Yeah! I can do this. I can check this off my list! I did this today, I can do it again tomorrow, and then instead of having days in a row of nothing, I will have an accumulation of daily five minutes concentrated on this thing. 

So in order to give my inner self a way to get out of this really working, I set the timer for 10 minutes. I doubled the time in the suggested article. One of the many I read and think why should I read another article about this? I already know what they say. I've already scanned the universe and the even bigger internet of all those articles. I already know the plotting points to get myself to get up, go, and do. And then something happens. 

The alarm goes off. It says 10 minutes. Time is up!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT