Saturday, November 7, 2015

My run will wait

I missed my 10-minute 'sprint' yesterday. I didn't set my timer and go for it. This morning it looks like I'll have more than enough time to write. I had every intention of putting in a load of laundry in the wash and then heading out for a long leisurely run. I pictured it in my head as a slow and steady, easy, breezy run. It was to be a relaxing, invigorating, totally stress-deflating type of way to start off the weekend. It was to be a kick-start to the rest of all the activities I was going to do.

I didn't realize how bad the weather really was. I wasn't expecting the constant dripping of rain. I don't even mind the temperatures right now. Those are fine, even if lower than I would normally call fine, but that isn't what but a damper on my activity.

The damper is the wet. Now I'm known for running in the rain in prior instances. It isn't exactly something I shy away from doing anymore. That happened only once, or was it twice, when I had never done it before. In that one, was it two, instances that a race was approaching I made anxious inquiries if the race was still going to happen. What if it rains? The answer was always the same. It will go on. So I went and pretty much lucked out since the rain didn't happen until after I was well into the race. One 10K it didn't come down until I was crossing the finish and then I got to watch it afterward. I've always started out in regular weather and didn't mind the rain coming down once I started running. Many times it feels pretty good to have that happen. But I can't seem to get out my door if it's already coming down.

Like this morning. I don't think I can push myself to go on when it's already pouring down. I realize skin is waterproof but only if it isn't raining when I first start. That only seems to apply if it's dry when I start, or not actually coming down, and starts after I have.

So I will need to re-arrange the timing of everything I will do today. The laundry still goes in right now to get that started. I will have another cup of coffee and probably clean up the kitchen. I'll make a grocery list and see about heading out to the store. I am crossing my fingers that there will be a break in the rain and I will head out for that run, even if I need to adjust the fantasy I have in my head. That's okay. I can still picture it happening.

Then, I will have more time to set that silly timer for more than 10 minutes and let loose on another story. I'll work on one of them. My thoughts keep bouncing back and forth between a few I've started, one or two I've finished and which needs major editing. And my 10-minute timer you ask? It went off at least 4 minutes ago. It was at least that long ago so I've gone over the 10-minute mark.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT