Saturday, June 30, 2012

What's it about

I've been writing this morning.  Mostly I've been writing the same things over and then over again.  It can get easy to be stuck in a creative stand-still at times.  It's easy to get stuck.  It's not so easy to figure out why you are stuck especially when you think what you are putting down is what you thought you wanted.  It started out early this morning.
I woke feeling especially good.  I could hear the quiet sounds from outdoors filter in while it was still dark and everyone slept.  It set a wonderful backdrop for the tranquil mood and quiet delight that was brought to the early morning.  But after a while, even with my wonderful setting and surroundings, I realized I wasn't telling much of a story with what I was writing.  What good was a lot of flowerly words and  bountiful description if it didn't do more?  Great practice, I thought, maybe.  I certainly could always fall back on that way of thinking.
But I knew it wasn't ringing true - what I had been writing.  It was vague and misdirected.  It wasn't bad, horrible, it just didn't really say anything.  I was at a pause.  So I went back and tried again and it was a little better but not.  So again.  And then again.
There was a lot of repetition going on and the morning brightened up and I kept thinking I should go for a run.  Retreat.  Wave the white flag on the difficult creative stand-still and go do something I knew I could do and feel good about.  Give up on the hard to deal with and lean toward the familiar routine.       
And that is when the barrier dropped.  It fell away and the words went beyond pretty description and said something.  My stubborn nature and the especially good feeling I woke up with finally gave way to some progress.  I was feeling good about writing. It was as good a feeling as some runs even if that might seem like hard things to compare. There was no need to abandon the repetitive work I had been doing because it was finally breaking through.  The sheer idea of remembering what it is all about was making the difference.  It is about the personal challenge.  It's about pushing through when you want to give up.  It's about reminding yourself how much you actually enjoy doing it.  If it wasn't for that, then why?
The writing still needs some work.  It's not always easy to get unstuck.  But it helps to remember what it really is all about.  It's about the enjoyment that can come out of the doing.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT