Saturday, June 16, 2012

Not here!

Good morning, Saturday.  I've barely finished my first cup of coffee and the entire pot downstairs is calling my name.  I have to run down there now and refresh my favorite brown mug.  It seems late and I am not ready to go out and run.  I haven't had a run since last Sunday and I've skipped going out to the Haven this morning.  It's going to be a do whatever day.  Nothing in particular planned or lined up and that might be best.
I had a late night with Mr. L.  Sonny brought him over and I could tell from the look on his little face when he arrived he wasn't happy.  I could see he wasn't pleased when Sonny left.  Jay tried his usual funny antics and I could tell the child wasn't going for all the ridiculously overwhelming sounds and gestures a man that old should ever display even for a grandchild.  Mr. L looked panic-stricken.  I could hear the thoughts going through his head.  Not here!   Not these people again!  Where's my Dad?!  He was here a minute ago.  Where did he go?  The one that calls me stinky.  I think that's my middle name, Mr. L Stinky.  He didn't leave me here with these two old people, did he?  No!
At about that time Jay had exhausted his book of baby tricks and Mr. L's face scrunched up like a prune and he started to wail.  That is when Jay handed the 6 month old boy to me.  I took him and we went outside and sat on the deck.  We like it outside.  Both of us.  And he was happier and quiet and wanted to see what was there.  So we stayed out for a while until Jay insisted we come back inside since he was sure we were both getting eaten by mosquitos.  We weren't.  Jay gets eaten by mosquitos and I know they are there but they don't come around me as much but we went inside just the same.  We sat at the kitchen table and played invisible keyboards on the edge mixed with a bit of percussion.  The jam session was short-lived.  The musician was tired and the wailing started again with more force.  I made a bottle but he wasn't having it so I took him to the bedroom as I sat up in bed, placed him facing me on my lap supported by my legs against his back and swayed my knees back and forth.  It wasn't long before he was fast asleep.  I put him down and kept an eye on him.
He was still sleeping when his Dad picked him up except that right before he arrived Mr L kept smiling in his sleep.  A grin here, a smile there, a dimple showing and then he would fall fast asleep again.  It had been a long week.  He hadn't planned on going out on a Friday night.
So, it's time for me to have another cup of coffee.  It has been a long week and I overslept a bit.  It's a do whatever day for me and that might be best.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT