Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pretending to distract myself

I am waiting on laundry but really I'm going through my fiction that I've been writing that nobody has ever read a word of.  I took a quick break because I seem to want to distract myself from that situation after so many minutes.  I get nervous with myself because I have to stop telling myself I don't know what I'm doing or how to do it.  What a bore I can be.  So I'm taking a quick break, reloading the washer, putting things in the dryer and instead of sitting at my worktable where my notes and papers are strewn, I go to my desk with my laptop on the other side of the room.  But I don't sit and pull down my everyday posts to read.  No.  I go to my favorites tab and read my last two installments of my Rules of Writing - specifically #5 and #6.  I just read through them.  I figured I was going to go all critical on myself but it didn't so much turn out that way. 
The whole idea when I started writing the Rules of Writing pieces was that I was creating an office I could go to in order to get the answers I needed in order to write.  I wanted to know what the rules were so I made a place to go get them.  It was pure fiction and I had fun when I wrote them.  I didn't think I would have as much fun re-reading them this afternoon as I did and I fooled myself.  Smarty.  Doesn't always turn out like you think.  I was surprised when I read the beginning of #5 and thought I had done a fairly good job of capturing those instances of awkwardness while waiting on the receptionist and then again meeting with Josh instead of Erik.  I was surprised by #6 because my tone was stronger/more confident even when Josh poked back at me by asking, "And how has that worked out for you?"  Squirm.  But seeing it from a writers view it did seem to be written a little stronger, a little better, not that bad.  Maybe. Who knows.
I guess it's a good thing to re-read a thing or two I've written every so often.  It's probably a good thing to write a thing or two that nobody has ever read a little more often.  Like now.  I need to fold some clothes and then go back to my worktable instead of my desk.  Distraction time is over.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT