Monday, October 24, 2011

Childhood food

I was sent a link that I can't help but share.  It's about food and inspiration and these chefs from Chicago that have been doing some greatly innovative things lately.  They have a restaurant called Next and they change the theme and menu every three months.  They always sell out.  The chefs are Grant Achatz and Dave Beran and they currently have opened Next with their newest theme of Childhood.  Yes...the foods you remember from Childhood - like PB & J sandwiches and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and Mac and Cheese.  Remember those?  How about going (if you could even get tickets to get in) to a very high scale restaurant in Chicago and paying $200.00 for a menu containing these items.
Really?!  Like really?  That might be the immediate reaction.  Heck no!  That was my reaction.  I can get those things, make them myself, for a whole...a whole lot less.  Yes.  I could!  But since there is no chance I will be going to Chicago (I hear they have already had a frost!-forget that) and paying $200 for any meal, there isn't much else for me to fret about but to enjoy the ideas these chefs have come up with.   This isn't about a poor soul like me eating an expensive meal.  There ARE people that get tickets and can afford to go and get the opportunity of this experience.  Because that is what this is really all about.  Yes, it's about food.  It's a restaurant and you eat.  But it is also about the entire experience.  These Chefs elevated this food to such a high level but what they also have done is open up the converstions for those dining to share childhood feelings and experiences.  Who would think to have a menu of such items and charge these prices?  Take a look first...then see what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pmoE9W2htM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Who doesn't remember donut holes and licking the icing or batter directly off the electric beater?   But would you ever think of being served this way?  They did.  It makes me happy and excited to just see what they do and what they have come up with.  It certainly makes me think.  It does.  Just watching the clip opens that imagination door to any possibility.  So I'm feeling pretty inspired right now.  Not that I would come up with anything to this level but I'm always looking for inspiration.  This little clip did that.  Kinda exciting.  Hope you liked!
TT  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT