Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Best day

I've lost a day but we are both safe.  You would have thought the danger would have been from traveling through the drowning storm and not the clear skies on the way back but that wasn't how it worked out.  But I am getting ahead of myself.  I can't help but first go back to the wonderful day in my personal paradise before mentioning what happened afterward...the next day, yesterday, on our way back home.  And yes, we are both safe.
I got up early to a clear blue sky with only a thread of fluffy white cloud streaking through it.  The storms had completely cleared and not a drop was falling.  I knew Jay would be sleeping in so I grabbed up my running shoes and headed out the motel door.  We didn't stay in our usual spot.  Jay found a place slightly less expensive with a small kitchenette and a new pier.  It was closer to a busier part of this small fishing village so I knew I would have to take some back roads to avoid heavier traffic.
I headed out into a small residential area behind the spot we were staying.  It was perfect.  Quiet, cool and I had nothing but time.  I rounded a turn and ended up on a main street but with a wide sidewalk and no one on it but me.  I followed it as far as it would go and it ended up taking me right up by the water.  I kept going and ran past the main harbor and bait stands and all the way down through main street past the shops and souvenir stores.  When I ran out of sidewalk I turned back and followed that same sidewalk back the way I had come, finally circling back through the residential area and to our motel room.  It was just over seven miles.  A great run on a great morning in Paradise. 
By the time I showered Jay was up and ready for breakfast.  We went out to the local diner and waited for eggs and toast while they refilled our coffee.  We talked about our plans and no plans and after breakfast we decided to act like tourists and browse the local shops.  We stopped at one that had converted every inch of an old house into a place for hand-crafted merchandise.  It took a while just to make it through each room that was packed with items.  Jay called me over after I had strayed into the last room and I saw he had picked up a small mosaic plate that he had waiting for me at the counter.  He said it would look good in my office upstairs, to catch clips or what-nots.  He bought it for me and as we left I saw the name of the store printed on the brown bag.  It was Paradise House.  How appropriate.  We then drove down to the harbor and walked a bit.  We took a few pictures and enjoyed the day.  We finally made it back to the room and Jay headed out to the pier to fish.  I stayed outdoors and read a while.  He called me an hour later to bring him something to the pier so I did and ended up staying out there.  I stretch across a bench and soaked up sun and laughed a bit or a lot.  So did Jay.
When the late afternoon was winding down and the bait was almost gone we went back to the room and decided to go out for a drink.  We dressed and left and made it back making for an early night.  It was totally relaxed, totally good, nothing could have made it better.

Maybe it was the early turn-in that had me up the next morning or maybe I am just always up that early but I knew we had already decided not to stay another day and I was ready to go home.  Somehow, Jay agreed and we packed ourselves up and left the earliest we have ever left before.  The weather was clear and beautiful.  The lingering bliss from the day before was still permeating our moods and we gassed up Jay's SUV and headed back home.  That was yesterday.  It took the entire day but both of us are safe.
TT

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT