Tuesday, October 25, 2011

All about the writer


I admit I had to stop and chuckle at myself.  I was going through a few of my recent posts and was re-reading my Rules of Writing, 6 that I wrote on October 20th.  Yes, I've written six of these recurring pieces of fiction and they are all posted here in this blog.  I came up with this crazy idea to create a place I could go to discuss the problems I was having with my writing.  I thought up the Rules of Writing (ROW) offices and the people that work there.  They were all just ideas in my head.
In the first piece, I fictiously went there to find out what the rules were, to write...or more accurately to find out how many there were.  That led me down a path that started on July 9, 2009 and now every so often I've written another and another until I've come up with six.  (I could give you all the dates for each one but it's easier to just look under the top tab - Favorite Posts).
So I was re-reading my most recent installment and I had to chuckle, smirk, and giggle a little to myself.  The part that did this to me was contained in the latter section of this particular piece.  I couldn't help but think how I had written it this way and gotten away with it.  These eight lines I have copied below is what had me grinning.  Have you ever heard of answering a question with a question?  Do you think anyone can get away with it for...hmmm...let me see....about eight lines?

I turned and started to go but turned back to Josh and said, "What are you doing here?"
"What?" he asked.
"Why are you here in the store?"
"Why don't you tell me," he said.
"You don't think it's a little odd that I meet you here in the store instead of at the Rules Of Writing office?" I explained.
He looked at me blankly and said, "Do you think it's strange?"
"Well, yeah. I mean this is almost exactly the first scene of how my two main characters meet in my story. You there," I said pointing at him. "At the wine rack. She sees him and takes the bottle of Merlot."
"Really," he says noncommittally.
"Yes."

OK.  It might not be a full eight lines of a question to answer a question but it's close.  And when I re-read it and realized it and then I thought...it worked!  Well, when I realized that, I couldn't help but smile and chuckle and giggle.  You can picture the two of them going at it that way, can't you?  Well, I guess I could and it made me smile. 
I think that might be one of the Rules of Writing.  You have to be able to picture it and most definitely, it should make the writer smile.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT