Sunday, August 21, 2011

Take a break

Saturday evening Jay came home about 7:00pm after closing the shop to find me hunched close to his PC downstairs with binders of reports and bank information strewn close by.  "Are you still working?" were the first words out of his mouth that drew my attention away from the bank balance I had almost finished reconciling.  "What time is it?" was my reply after pulling my gaze away from the computer screen filled with columns of numbers and darted searchingly for the wall clock.
It was later than I thought.  I had spent the majority of the entire afternoon doing bookkeeping.  I purposely retreated to data taken from here and put there.  This amount decreased from this category to increase the other.  Debits and credits, expense codes, sales figures, taxes and insurance.  All with a number that placed them here instead of there and would create a report to show how it all added up.  Just numbers.  That was all I had to deal with.  It was doing the creating and I think that was why I retreated to it.  I needed to give myself a break and the hours that I spent working on balancing numbers allowed me just that.  I didn't have to be creative or think of working it this way or would another be better.  I just needed to deal with finding that $58.64 because it was there somewhere and my only task was to find it and not figure out it's motive or spin an imaginary scenario about why I used it in the wrong place. 
The bookkeeping was great therapy to work out another part of my brain.  I needed to give the other side of it a rest and I got a lot of work done that I had put off.  So, its a win win situation.
And now?  To heck with the brain!  I need to do something about my aching back from sitting in that hunched position so long!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT