Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The first rule

This blog has always been my tool.  It was something I was able to use to fix and remedy a writing problem.  It seemed like a good solution and looking back now, it worked.  It not only solved the problem but it became a discipline.  I accomplished what I originally set out to do and I did it successfully because I can no longer truly say the problem exists.  It went beyond my original goal.
So what is it now?  It certainly still is a tool and definitely a discipline.  It has become so ingrained I wouldn’t know how to change it.  But since it seems to have accomplished my original goals I keep thinking I need to take a look at what it should be in a different light.  I have always stood firm that it was my tool but since the tool has served me well I wonder if it is time for me to think deeper about what I am using this blog for?
What should it be going forward?  Or is it fine to keep it the way it is?
It has always been about my writing.  I started out unsure and convinced I was unable.  I wanted to try to write and this gave me the way to do it.  And I did it.  It has taken some time, practice and determination to not stop when I was shaken by my own under-confidence.   But I worked past it all and am here at this time now when those things are no longer in the way.  I’ve worked past them by sheer bold discipline and determination.  Those are easily said but not so easy to do.  I know.  I still have times I need to shake those feelings.
I was recently asked if I realized the negative tone that the line under my header contained and I was asked if it truly represented the way I felt about my writing at this point.  In particular the reference was to the word struggle I had used in the very short sentence. It read: My thoughts as I struggle to get words on a page.  That might have been very true some time ago when it was originally written but when it was pointed out to me I had to admit the struggle wasn’t so true now and I know I need to stay away from any negatives.  It wouldn't be true to say I do not struggle at times but not in comparison to when I started all this. 
So what do I do with my tool ?  How can it serve me better now in my current circumstances?  That is something I need to figure out and will be giving more thought to.  I will.  In the meantime, I need to just keep on writing because the first rule of writing is...I need to write.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT