Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Early bird

I got up super early this morning.  My early is earlier than most so my super early is almost ridiculous to others.  It seems crazy sometimes because I do not have trouble sleeping.  I am just an early riser.  So I was awake by 4:10 am this morning.  Yes.  On a Tuesday morning, on a regular work day.  I got up.  I thought I might go ahead and have an early morning run.  Somehow between the time I got up and made coffee I decided I wasn't going to head out in the pitch dark.  I was really looking forward to running outside but the concerns expressed by a few clouded my decision this morning.  I have been running outdoors as much as I can lately but because of the still constant heat in the afternoons I haven't been able to as much as I would like.  I have had to leave it for the mornings on weekends only instead.  All other weekdays I have gone to the gym and used the artificial gerbil in-a-wheel method.  You know sometimes it feels like that...the treadmill, of course.  But it is serving it's purpose if not with a lot of panache.  How about none - no panache.
This weekend while running outdoors I was able to see a glorious sky and feel a slight breeze.  I saw a small brown rabbit scurry away into a wooded area of an empty lot surrounded by the rest of the neighborhood.  I actually saw a penny on the sidewalk (heads up)!  I had a great run.  Yesterday on the treadmill I had a pretty good run, too.  But there were big differences.  I got to stare out unto the asphalt parking lot.  I got to watch as a few people came and went, entering and leaving the gym.  I got to concentrate on the reflection of the sun on the windshield of a car.  It gets old quickly and I find myself lifting the towel I throw over the numbers displaying how little distance I've gone in what seems like an interminable amount of time.  But you take the good with the bad.  Right now, it's just about finding a balance I can live with and I've been doing well despite the moaning and whining. 
So early bird this morning or not...I will get another run in this afternoon.  At the gym.  It's not so bad.  I can live with it for now.  And besides,  it was more than nice to have all this extra time this morning!
TT     

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT