Sunday, August 7, 2011

Scenario: Never long enough

I was listening to my iPod as I ran on Saturday at the gym.  I had on the album Awake by the group Skillet which I have listened to many times.  The third cut came on and I couldn't help but think how I could play with this idea from their song Don't Wake Me.  (It's all over YouTube if you want to hear it-just search- Don't wake me skillet). 
I wrote this from his point of view so I hope I don't confuse.  I had to give it a try. 
------------------------------------------------ 
We were sitting across from each other after all these months at our favorite restaurant. I couldn't believe she had agreed to see me after all this time, but there she was. It hadn't ended well back then and she had called me more than a few names I haven't been able to get out of my head since then. She was right. I had been distracted with work those months ago or at least that was my excuse. I hadn't given her the attention she needed or deserved. I made promises to her I knew I couldn’t keep.  I had been a selfish guy who only thought about what was important to me at the time. I should have realized how important she was to me sooner. If only I had done things differently.
I couldn't believe she was here. And now looking across from her at the table I couldn't get over how beautiful she looked. She was so much more than I ever remembered. Her hair was shining, her complexion flawless, and real joy was glittering from her eyes. We were talking and laughing like we used to do at the beginning.  It hadn't been that way that last time we were together. And yet now she kept stealing glances at me with such inner happiness while she moved her silverware in nervousness. I was confused by her acceptance and asked her. I hadn't expected to have this wonderful reaction from you. She merely shrugged her shoulder and smiled coyly. I couldn't hold back my amazement and smiled back at her.
We sipped our drinks and I noticed the room seemed sparse with the farther edges cloudy and not well defined. I realized something wasn't quite right about the situation. I scrunched my brows knowing she would never agree to see me again. She had made it plain to me many months ago. I had wanted her to give me another chance back then but she claimed to have given me so many chances already. And yet, here she was. She looked so calm and lovely. I couldn't help getting pulled into her stare and seeing in those depths that she was willing to let me back in. I was absorbed in that feeling she generated and couldn't pull myself away.
I caught a glimpse of the waiter making his way to our table with a large circular tray loaded with heavy dishes of food. I was abruptly startled by the riotous thunder when the tray tilted and everything it contained crashed to the floor.
I sat bolt upright in bed.  I had to adjust my eyes to the dark as I heard the thunder crash and the rain beat down outside my bedroom window.  It was pouring down in sheets, wave after vicious wave of rain coming down.  I slowly got my bearings in the dark surroundings and I knew I was alone in my own empty room.  I was breathing too quickly and eventually was able to slow it down as my hope sank and I slowly exhaled the dream away.  It had seemed so real but again I knew it wasn't.  After a moment I finally lay back down and into the pillows.  I closed my eyes and listened to the rain as I tried to bring the dream back.  I knew it was the only place she would ever agree to see me again and I never stay asleep long enough.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT