Sunday, August 7, 2011

21 day habit gambit update

I am in the midst of a 21 day attempt to make a habit.  It started on 7/28/11 when I pulled myself up and dragged my lazy self to the gym.  I realized that I had been abusing the time I was spending directly after work to come home and become a dormant, grazing, nothing-doer.  I would use that time to snack and feel bad about the fact that I was using that time to do something I knew I shouldn't be doing with no real reason behind it.  Except that I was using excuses of the heat for me being unable to run outdoors so somehow that translated into doing nothing and eating junk food instead.  Go figure.
I decided I needed to stop and fill that time after work.  I decided to use the 21 days to make a habit idea.  I made my rules that I would work-out every day for the next 21 days starting 7/28/11.  I would have a minimum work-out time of 30 minutes and I could choose whatever work-out I wanted to do.
I have been doing it every day so far.  Today has marked my 11th day and I have ten more consecutive days to go.  I am at the half-way mark.  I must say the first two days at 10 minutes before I was about to leave work I tried to convince myself I didn't need to go.  The thought of me giving up after just two days seemed ridiculous to me.  What?  I couldn't even do two days?  After five days I was a little tired and thought I needed to change my running up a little.  On days six and seven I actually walked for 40 minutes instead of running for 30.  On days 8 and 9 I actually ran further and faster even after I was feeling a slight soreness in my upper legs that morning.  It didn't affect me later and on day 10 I ran for 50 minutes.  I will go out again today and the next 10 to make a full 21 consecutive days of work-outs.  I've stopped the snacking and, yes, I feel a whole lot better already.  Oh, and I got a small bonus after a week when I realized I had dropped 1.4 lbs.   
So I am half way there on this little trick I am playing on myself.  Here is an old picture I took when I was half way through the half marathon I ran last November.  I figured since I was half way on to something again it might serve as good motivation.  Oh, shedding 1.4 lbs of junk food snacks works well for that, too. 
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT