Wednesday, June 9, 2010

eBooks

I just finished a book that I was "lent".  That doesn't seem like such a big deal.  I've had many people lend me many books, many different times.  There are people that know I read and know if they suggest or lend me a book, that I will read it and sometimes have very big opinions about it that I will let be known.  Sometimes that happens and sometimes it's just another book I get to enjoy.
Sonny says I am an addict when it comes to books.  I always have one going, I am beside myself if I am ending one and don't have another and I usually remedy that by having a stash of books on hand for that purpose.
Everyone knows I don't keep my books.  I read them, give them away or sell them for pittance.  I've had discussions with people saying you pay so much for it, you're not getting any value back by selling it but you see...I have already gotten my value by reading it and I don't need to take up space with all the volumes I've read and plan on reading.  The time it would take me to stow and organize the number of books I read would take away from my reading time.  I would lose value there, wouldn't I?
So, I was "lent" a book.  Electronically.  Friends have thought I would be the first to go out and purchase a Kindle, a Nook, a gadget specific for reading books.  I can't say I haven't read some things about them but I can't seem to get past the idea of not having that paper in my hand.  Then a friend (who has a Nook) said...you can try it free by downloading the eReader on B&N website to your PC.  I did.  I downloaded the eReader and my friend "lent" me a book already purchased.  It went into my eReader library and I was able to access it on my mini-acer.
There were a few things I missed when reading this way.  When I get to the end of a page I will have slipped my finger behind to separate it so I can turn it as I am reading.  Clicking the curser on the page forward arrow just didn't have that feel, although I got really good at positioning the curser so all I had to do was click.  I had a problem with the fact that I couldn't just grab it and start reading but had to boot up my acer.  (I was told it's just a matter of power on for the Nook).  Then I thought - what am I going to do with a library of eBooks?  I don't ever keep my books.  I think it came down to the fact that I am having a mental block to changing the very comfortable feel of my paper books to something new.
I am not ready to give up on my paper books just yet but I'll give another electronic book a chance.  Maybe I'll go out and purchase an eBook and see...my stash is running a bit low anyway.  
Just what I needed...I can hear Sonny now...Some friends you have.  They are just enabling your addiction!
TT       

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

turns out i named santino wrong...came up in a quick conversation about godfather due, and we couldnt remember clemenza's name..so when i went to google it i happend 2 c SANTINO "sonny" corleone..so, santigo is no more...good thing is, he hasnt complained and answers every time i say Santino

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT