Saturday, October 20, 2012

Remember?

I remember when Disney was really a Disney. When it was powered by the visions of a man named Walt. It was when Sunday evenings turned into The Wonderful World of Color and Tinker Bell swept across the screen in a yellow haze of trailing pixie-dust. It drew me in and told me stories. It took old fantasies and made them bright and memorable. It also took old ways of doing things and made them innovative. It would break down the process and show how a pencil sketch could move and turn and run and talk. It showed how it became a character with dress and mannerisms and voice. It led me through the stage door of the possibilities of imagination and creativity.

I have always had my favorite classic Disney movie. Sleeping Beauty was always at the top of the list. Oddly enough for me, it wasn't because of the blond princess, Aurora. She was fine and there would have been no story without her but for me it was always about the bad guy in this particular story. It was about the Mistress of all evil, Maleficent. She was the beautifully regal and slighted participant of the story. She first appears at the christening of the newly born, Aurora, with a gust of wind and green flames. She had a cultured voice and intimidating style. She certainly made her point about her lack of invitation to the event. How much more power could an animated character portray than her? You feel the absolute tension in the room - part fear, part intimidation, part why didn't they invite her and part well, would anyone have?

I guess I’m being nostalgic about things from my long past.  I don’t know what triggered me to remember those Sunday evenings but I do.  I think they played a big part in the whole process of reading or watching something that could draw me in so completely.  It made me want to do that when I was on stage working in community theatre.  I remember a compliment after a performance once when someone told me they had been in tears during one of my scenes.  It was the best thing I could have heard.  I pulled them in and they believed the story.  They forgot about me and got caught up with what was being portrayed.  They escaped and I helped them do it.

I have my original Disney favorites.  I won’t ever forget those Sunday evenings.  They sparked some passions and creativity in me I might never have had without those visions from long past.  I can’t really be sure of that, but for whatever reason, I thought about it today and had to mention it.  I bet everyone has something like what I had with those Sunday evenings.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT