Thursday, July 26, 2012

Visuals

I'm beginning to wonder how many visuals I need.  How many are too many and when is it a good idea to have references in nice tidy areas to check and use as reminders begin to be just another way to use time on something that isn't exactly sitting down and putting pen to paper.  I can see where having notes and small snippets of visual reminders can work rather well for me.  I like the idea of staying focused by having these quick references.  I can see where these things can work.  But when are they really helping and when do they turn into another way to distract myself from the real work that is at hand.  How many times can I come up with another way to stay organized instead of actually using the time to write?
Sneaky, aren't I?  Well, yes, I can be, but does it count when I'm being sneaky with myself?  Like I don't know that might be an ulterior motive?  Like I don't realize I might be using these things as a way to avoid what I really should be doing?
Unfortunately, my newest visual is actually helping!  My main character is trying to put together an entire project.  It's a major bunch of action for her.  I've had to keep up with the things she needs to get done and then the next thing and next.  With this new visual, I've come up with a to-do list for her.  And it's helping!  It only takes a quick glance to see where I'm at (or where the main character is at) and then have her go on to the next task.
So then there is no need to wonder about how many visuals I need, is there?  I need these.  They help, they are working and they might be the best things I've come up with so far to keep me on track.  That track being to keep writing forward and not stop wondering if I covered something or forgotten anything until it's all done.  So too much isn't really too much.  It's enough.
Now writing this post...instead of writing up my main characters next task...that was a distraction.

Corkboard with index cards for each character and
blackboard for main characters to-do list.






Gotta go.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT