Thursday, July 5, 2012

A, B, C or all of the above

I just started another Garrett, PI, book.  I pretty much raced through the first eight books but after the last one I had to stick something else in between.  I wasn't crazy out his Petty Pewter Gods.  I'm not sure where the PI part came in on that particular book in the series but I know that after I read it I had to take a break.  I looked back on my goodreads.com page (where I'm up to 330 books) to see what I thought about it and I had written, "Too much of Garrett's time (was) spent knocked out, with over-willing goddesses, or hiding at home."  I'm hoping the 9th in the series that I just started will be better.
The book I read in between was suggested by a friend at work that promptly went on a week vacation right as I started it.  It took me too long to read it which could mean I was:
a) busy doing other things - like what instead of reading?
b) wasn't getting into the story
c) was annoyed by one character TALKING ALL IN CAPS FOR THE ENTIRE BOOK! why?
d) spent too much time thinking, I need to avoid doing this when I write.
e) figured I had plenty of time before my friend got back from vacation

I'm not sure why, and it doesn't happen all the time, but I have found myself in the middle of some books that I can't help but use as tools for things not to do when writing instead of just sticking to reading for pleasure.  Not every bit of fiction is supposed to be my research, is it?  And yet, there are times I can't help but start thinking that way...and then it doesn't seem to let up.
So, I've gone back to Garrett, PI, for another dose of humorous and (hopefully) detective work that I won't be thinking of things I need to avoid in my writing while I'm reading it.  It will be for just the fun of it.  Hopefully.
Besides, I found out that Glen Cook has another series called The Black Company I might want to try.  Maybe.
If I:
a) have the time
b) can get into the story
c) not annoyed by any characters
d) see what I mean?

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT