Saturday, July 7, 2012

No bread

It's hard to make a chopped beef sandwich when you don't have any bread.  That had been my plan for dinner last night.  I was going to take the leftover brisket from the 4th and make some hardy sandwiches with crusty bread and maybe even some tangy sauce and top them with onion and pickles.  Mmmm.  I even had some corn and potato salad to go with it.  Then I realized I didn't have any bread.  You can't make a sandwich without bread.  And I was all ready for a mouthful of that crusty, crunchy, toasted goodness.  I had already started thinking how good it would have tasted.
It might have been the wine I was sipping earlier.  I mean it was a Friday night and I had a few sips of wine, or four.  So the idea of bread was stuck in my head and somehow the meal just wasn't going to be right without some type of crunchy, toasted substitute.  That is when I realized I had made a pizza dough on the 4th and thrown it in a ziplock bag in the fridge.  Discussion had been around the yeast we used in our home-made dough between myself and Sonny.  I had the yeast on hand and I went ahead and made the dough with the intention of giving it to Dante to take home.  Then he would only need to roll it out and bake.  But it was left and I had it now. 
So I went to work and rolled it out, added cheese, fresh sliced tomatoes, onion and slivers of zucchini.  I put whatever I thought would be good that I had.  I gave it a couple of turns from the pepper mill and drizzled it with olive oil and baked it up.
Now it wasn't something I could fill with beef and I didn't try.  It did satisfy my thought of needing that bread element but it certainly wasn't a chopped beef sandwich.  The meal was slightly altered although not particularly cohesive but it was filling and fresh and good.  What can I say?  Especially after a few sips of wine. 
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT