Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Times are a changing

I am looking forward to work today although I can't wait for tomorrow.  Our company has been going through some major transitions to improve our service and handle the current economy.  That has proven to have changed the way we do business and how we get our work done.  I happen to work in an IT department where the majority of restructuring has taken place.  I've seen a lot of changes in the years I have been there.
One thing that has always been the same is that by coincidence or on purpose I have always been assigned to sit at the top of the aisle amongst a team of programmers.  Always.  I guess my boss (whichever one it might have been at the time) has always had the office situated near that area.  I have always been relegated to that top of that aisle spot.  The primary application used by our service centers is written in a code called smalltalk and I have always sat with that team.  I've been close to mainframe and quality assurance teams but never in the same proximity as the smalltalk team.  Never as close and when you sit in an aisle of cubicles with people talking smalltalk all day it can start closing in on you.  You understand by smalltalk I don't mean chit-chat.  This specific group of programmers around me seem to be the ones that give computer nerds a bad name.  They manage to perpetuate every classically bad cliché that has ever been thought and attached to this position except they seem to be purposely acting upon it.  I won't go into details because I WILL get carried away with a list of grievances.  Believe me, I have nothing to chit-chat about with them. 
So due to the changes in business, it was decided that teams working on certain projects should be seated and work closer together in a more tabletop, conference type atmosphere.  A portion of our area was redesigned to accommodate this method when we ran out of conference rooms we could convert into "scrum" rooms, as they are called.  I coordinated a move for all the programmers around me to move with their belongings and equipment to this newly built seating location on the other side of the department.  The move will happen at end of day today.
I've said this out loud a few times already that I shouldn't be looking so forward to this move as much as I am.  I can't wait to have everyone move away from me.  There will be no one left sitting in the two aisles I am sitting in or the ones on the other side of me.  I will be the lone person left sitting at the top of the aisle of a vacant area.  When I go in to work today, it will be the last time I will have all these programmers around me.  I shouldn't be so excited about it, but I am.
It will be a change and change is always good.  Good for me.  I am looking forward to today but I can't wait for tomorrow.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT