Friday, June 11, 2010

Running dreams

It seems slightly odd to me that since I haven't been able to run in the past few weeks that my thoughts would become so grand for my future running plans.  I have been sidelined from running and walking since 5/24 when I finally admitted to the fact that the back of my right foot wasn't right.  The annoyance wasn't getting better and it might have started to get worse.  It turned out to be some small tears in my achilles tendon and the doctor recommended I do not attempt to run until it had time to heal.
According to the time frame the doctor gave me I should be fine about now, but I know it isn't up to snuff just yet.  I can still feel it in the back of my right foot although it is much better than it was and that is encouraging.  I need to give it more time yet somehow my plans are growing larger the longer I sit and wait to get back to it.  I will want to get at it seriously when I start back.
I wouldn't let myself go to my site that held my stats because I needed to keep it out of my head.  I finally took a look yesterday afternoon and although I will not be able to finish my goal or the last bit of training I had going at the time, I am not as frustrated as I thought I would be.  I only have 11 days to complete my training so that won't happen and I'll need to start again when I am able.  I will not reach the goal I set to run 120 miles by 6/22...I need 64.3 miles and it's 6/11 and I am still not able to run.  The challenge I was in had me in second place when I stopped and somehow I've only dropped to 6th place.  I wonder who else hasn't been running?  I would have thought more challengers would have overtaken and dropped my spot much more than that!  I will continue with that challenge when I am able...it doesn't end until 9/22.
Then I admit to be occupying some of my time searching races.  I have found an interesting half marathon in Dallas.  It occurs on 8/15 and is properly named The Hottest Half because I am sure you can imagine the temperatures in Dallas in the middle of August.  I thought it would be right up my alley!  I would love bragging rights on that one.  But then, I'd need to get myself in shape again and somehow get to Dallas!  There is another half marathon 8/1 in Chicago, another in Atlanta in October.  Do you see how I have been thinking of these broad grand plans like there would be no stopping me?
I have known from the beginning that right here in my own home town the major race is in November.  It was the original half marathon I was mulling over in my mind to see about doing about the time I was sidelined.  Now, as I sit and heal, I am thinking...what if I trained for the full marathon for that race in November instead?
I am not sure when I allowed or gave my mind permission to think about these things without the fear and hesitation I have always surrounded them with.  I don't know when that happened.  I do know that I have broken through to the other side and am looking at it as a possiblity instead of - no way, never, can't even imagine trying.
I might have to adjust plans once I start up again but I have to admit to being happy for allowing myself to try to think about it without attempting to sabotage myself before I begin.  So my running plans at the moment may not be any actual running...but who knows what the near future might hold.
TT    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT