Thursday, July 11, 2013

Let it go, Kate

If I was hugging a file folder a little to close to my chest yesterday I sure got over that.  I worked on a short 650 word piece that I had put together back in March of 2009.  It was a simple story that is actually true.  It was after I ran my first 10K.  I had driven to my personal paradise for the race and Dante went with me. When we came back that weekend I wrote up the short story.
I originally wrote it in first person.  I said this and I told that.  I had the dialogue that had gone on between me and Dante and it was a good little bit of writing.  But I took it on again to make it better yesterday.

I took it out of first person and made it a story about a lady and her son.  Most of the dialogue stayed the same and I added a tiny bit more descriptive words towards the end.  I cleaned up the commas, hyphens, and as much of the other grammatical issues I could find.  Then I posted it on writing.com.
What, wait, I hear you say.  Writing.com?  What happened to finestories.com?  Well, I found out that writing.com sort of wants short, quick stories.  They don't particularly want chapters and long word counts.  This site seems to encourage more short items so everyone can give their opinions and reviews.  So I posted my newly edited short there at about this time last night.
As it turns out, I have already had three people give me their thoughts on the piece!  Feedback!  People letting me know!  And my score is an average of 4 out of the 5.  And one gave me a five.  The other two pointed out a misused comma (drat! thought I had caught them all) and mostly more compliments.

Maybe, if I get another review I'll post it on finestories.com but I'm not sure it will get the same response. But that is just it.  I don't know and I didn't know until I did.  And I have.
So, now Kate is the only one holding file folders too close to her chest.
TT
------------------
Update 7/12/13 6:23am - I received two more reviews with scores of 4 and 4.5!  Five bits of feedback in a day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT