Thursday, May 16, 2013

Novellette?!?

During the past two evenings I have powered through approximately five hours of writing after work.  I wanted to finish Chapter three of this short story I decided I was going to challenge myself with.  You know, the one that I was going to take the 20 minute writing exercise I wrote up and turn it into a quick, easy, ha-ha, I'm going to get this done quickly and have it all done in no-time, short story.  The one where I would use the information from the original 20 minute exercise to complete a short and easy story.  The one where I could complete the entire writing process quickly instead of slugging through an entire novel and never finishing within any reasonable amount of time.  That short story?
Well, this short story is no longer considered a short story.  By definition, short stories are within a word count range of 1000 - 7500 words.  But don't hold anyone to that said amount because depending on where you go, there might be a different answer.  That was the count that was considered by most as the accurate amount.  So, I am no longer writing a short story because I've gone over that amount and I'm not finished yet.  I'm over 10,000 words at this point.
I figured I had ventured into novella land.  But wait - that would be a word count of between 20,000 and 50,000 words.  I don't think my story will be that long!  So I found there is an in-between category of novelette which has a word count of 7500 - 20,000 words.  Oh sure...can you see me admitting to that in conversation?  "Yes, dear.  I am just about finished with my novelette."  This, of course, would be said while I'm sitting primly on a tufted cushion sipping English tea out of a porcelain cup with my pinky outstretched.  Right.  You're writing a what?  Novelette?  But then, at least it isn't flash fiction.  That caught your attention and no, it has nothing to do with men opening up their raincoats on street corners...but then again it might because it only has a word count of 100-500.
Chapter three is complete.  I've started Chapter four and I will be finished with this short - ah...novella...ah...I should be finished with this piece of fiction I've been working on real soon.  In the meantime, if you wanted to check out what I've already written you could go to finestories.com.  You might need to create a login that they will need to activate but there is no danger and no advertising on this site (it's also clean - all PG).
You can go there...look under TessaT and find 'Crossed Wires'.  Or not.  I haven't finished it yet anyway.
TT
      

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT