Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Vacation anxiety

I am going to say something that will probably sound utterly ridiculous and will (and should) be waved aside by anyone listening to it as nonsense.  (I keep pretending there is anyone listening but no matter - I am far too good at talking to myself, anyway). 
I made a decision during the holidays that I would work through and then take time off in January when everyone was back to the routine and things were working as usual.  I decided I wanted to take that week of the long holiday weekend on 1/16 and use those four days afterward to combine for an entire weeks vacation.  Then I decided I was really needing a break and would take the two days prior to the Monday holiday and make it an almost week and a half vacation.  It wasn't like I had to worry about having the vacation time banked - it is there in quantities - huge quantities - so that is not a problem.
Now I am just a few days away from my Thursday that will start this long bit of down time and I am worried that I have nothing planned.  I am having thoughts of how I will utterly waste this time and let it slip through my fingers without getting anything done.  It isn't that I'm not looking forward to being off, I am.  It just seems I should be making plans or agenda's or lining up things that need to be done or things I should do and I haven't.  But I should.  Shouldn't I?
I told you it was nonsense but it dosen't stop it from going through my head.  I've been too busy at work to think about what I should do while I am off and now I guess I'll just have to get to the actual vacation time to figure it out.    And now, I need to go to work anyway since I've run out of time.  Maybe that is what time off is for...not being in the middle of something and having to leave it for later.
I wonder if there is a word for people that are afraid of vacation?
TT

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT