Monday, May 17, 2010

Hello Lara

A co-worker came over to my desk this morning.  It was a coincidence that we had talked briefly on Friday afternoon when we discovered we both were using the nike+ sensor to track our running workouts.  We shared a bit why we liked it so well and gave each other encouraging words about our runs.  It wasn't a long conversation but enough to capture the excitement of the device and point out features to each other that the other hadn't discovered as of yet.
So he came over to my desk Monday morning and said he had spotted me running on Sunday. 
I'm not sure why but my Sunday long runs are so solitary and early I don't figure anyone I know will see me.  But he had.  He said he and his wife were traveling down the road I was running and his wife had called his attention over to the runner on the sidewalk.  I asked, "Early Sunday?"  He acknowledged yes.  He said he looked over after his wife's comment and recognized me as the runner and told his wife.  I was a little taken aback.  Like I said, I somehow think that during my focused, steady gait, I am someway invisible to known persons that might also be out - that I am anonymous.  Or I just don't think I am going to be seen at that quiet hour of a Sunday morning.  Who else is out that time of day?  It seems my co-worker and his wife were and they not only spotted me but recognized me.  He had come over to my desk to let me know!
Then, while I'm still catching up to the idea that I was seen he hits me with next comment he says his wife made.  He tells me she said, "She looks like Tomb Raider."
What?!?  Now I am sitting shock still, mind on hold, consciously trying to keep my jaw from opening and leaving my mouth wide open.  Then the file cabinet in my mind opens up and flips through images of Lara Croft running down my Sunday route totally oblivious to anyone around her.  Except it's me.  When I recovered enough to safely open my mouth without fear of it staying permanently gaping open I said,
"How cool!"
Now, I don't really think it was all that accurate a statement...it couldn't be!  Come on!  Maybe in the few seconds his wife saw this black clad woman, striding down the street, arms pumping with a steady metronome pace, she thought she saw a silhouette of something to make her think there was a similar resemblance.  If I really stretched - I could say from the neck up and the ribs down, there could be a small resemblance to me in my running attire.  But I could break it down to show there really isn't that much resemblance.  My pony tail isn't anywhere near the length (although I wish I could hurry and grow it that long) as Lara Croft.  I could in no way, shape or that form, fill anything close to that bra size, but the waist, I have to admit, is pretty accurate although I wasn't wearing anything that form fitting.  My shorts were definitely longer - probably to the length of the holsters but maybe since my pockets were filled with cell phone and iPod it gave the illusion of a gun belt?  I, for sure, wasn't packing two guns as I padded away the miles but that is my hand grip as I pump away.  Maybe I gave the illusion of packing pistols as I was storming down the sidewalk. 
So no.  Lara Croft I am not.  But, never in a million years would I have thought or that anyone else would imagine that I looked like Tomb Raider.  No.  It is quite a stretch but I will say it was very nice compliment. 
I wonder what mile I was on?  I did thirteen miles that day.  Yeah, like some video game character that just won't quit.  I was gaming on to a whole 'nuther level and giving my best Lara Croft impression without knowing it.  Without ever imagining it. 
"How cool!"
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT