Sunday, September 25, 2011

Stop, breathe

So here I am Sunday morning thinking I was getting a head start on the day.  It's already almost 7:00am!  I am just finishing my first cup of coffee, I've already cleared my emails of the "specials of the day", which was the only thing it contained this morning, and I am already feeling this sense of urgency to get moving.  I was thinking I might have already gotten one other thing done but I want to head out for a run as soon as there is a tiny bit more light outdoors.  And I wanted to write a bit and I wanted to...
I can see where this might be going today if I don't take that cleansing breath now and settle down.  It could turn into another one of my frantic, work the whole day, push hard, get exhausted and still not get everything I had in my head done which leaves me anxious about the things that didn't get done (and exhausted).
The difference this morning from ones like this in the past is that I know to take that cleansing breath.  I know exactly how I am feeling that sense of urgency.  It has taken me a long time to recognize it.  It is too easy to get caught up into it.  I won't put anything off but I won't attack them like a long list of chores instead of the want to do's they really are.  And today is my free time, right?  It's the perfect time to leave the rigid schedule behind.  I decide when and the order I do the things today so I don't have to fret about getting them all done.  I'll get to them, but because I want to do them, not because they have become a long list of things to do.
And looky here now...I've gotten that tiny bit of light outdoors to head out for a run.  I'm actually ready to hit publish on this post.  That one other thing I wanted to do will get done after I get back.  Then I have the rest of the morning, I have the rest of the day, to fill in all the other blanks of my want to do's.
Good start to my day, my free time off, I think.  The miracle is in the cleansing breath.
And smiling doesn't hurt.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT