Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Twelve

I have nothing cute, witty or amusing this morning to share.  I won't be telling you about craving yogurt or folding laundry.  I probably won't mention running or writing.  This is just a glimpse into real world banality that seems to occur with me even with all the altering peaks and valleys that go on in my life.
Today, I have been working for my current employer for twelve years.  That seems like a long time.  I have to stop and take a breath.  It isn't even as long as I was with my previous employer which was 14 years.  Fortunately, this past 12 years have been much better than the 14 previously.  If I total the two it comes to 26 years.  Now that is something to stop and take a breath about.
You have to be kidding me...26 years?  Who am I?  Do I just stick to stick?  Do I not give up?  Those 14 years with my previous employer was treacherous.  It wasn't working well at the end at all and I was the one that finally said enough, gave my two weeks notice and left without having another job or thinking of what I would do.  I was toast by the time I left there.  I had banked a months vacation they had to pay me for and I decided I wouldn't work for a while.  And I didn't work for a while.  I didn't work for a month.  One month.  The exact amount of vacation time I had banked.
I didn't really plan it that way.  I would have stayed unemployed longer (ok, maybe I would have, maybe not).  I mailed a resume to a company that I knew was moving around the block from where I lived and that sounded interesting.  I did nothing else.  They called me and talked to me and a month later from leaving my previous job I was working again. 
And today I have been here 12 years.  A total of 26 years for two jobs.  Not the best record around but definitely not the worst.  It's a long time for either job.  I can't give you a formula for how or why it has happened to me this way except that it just has.
Oh, and not that I am considering any changes...but I currently have more than a months vacation time banked.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT