Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Coin flip

I was running around the corner on my last mile home.  I spotted the coppery circle blink out at me and draw my attention downward.  I noticed right away that it was left on the sidewalk and it was turned tails up.  Drat!  A penny left tails up and I had already run past.  I was facing that decision again of going back and retracing my steps to pick it up and flip it over.  It never ceases to amaze me how sometimes my thought process can be exceeding fast or drag into slow motion.  This time it was moving too slowly and I was too far away to go back and flip the coin to heads.
This happened on my Sunday morning run. The whole concept of find a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck became something I have paid more attention to when a dear friend suggested that you pick it up if it is heads.  If the penny is showing tails, you should flip it over for the next person so they will receive the good luck.  It's a silly childrens game and you don't really see too many pennies laying around any more (or where there ever many laying around)?  To me, it was the idea of instead of grabbing up whatever you might get immediately, it is sometimes better to do a small act that might bring something better to someone else.  The thought stays with me and I am reminded whenever I see a penny - tails up.  So, needless to say, I felt a little twinge when I ran past and left the penny tails up instead of flipping it over to heads.
By yesterday afternoon I had forgotten all about the penny.  I headed out for my run after leaving a rest day inbetween.  I rounded the same corner as I made my way back on my last mile stretch.  There sitting a few feet away from where I originally saw it was the penny, still tails up.  I almost went past but this time my brain clicked in faster and I retraced two steps, bent over, flipped the coin to heads and proceeded along my way.  There.  Fixed.  I had been given another chance and I took it.
I know, it sounds ridiculous.  What could flipping a lost coin, especially something with as little value as a penny have to do with creating luck for someone else.  Nothing.  The coin, the heads, the tails, picking it up, flipping it over...nothing.  Nothing at all.  Except it is the smallest, simplest, symbol of hope if you want to look at it that way.  It's a small symbol of hope for good for yourself if it's head, hope for someone else if you flip it.  What's wrong with simple reminders of how we should act every day throughout our lives?  What's wrong with grabbing up small potions of hope for ourselves or better yet possibly create some hope for others?  Somehow I can't seem to stop flipping pennies wherever I might see them.
What could be wrong with that?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT