Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dirt eating

I just got back from a neighborhood afternoon run.  I tried to eat some dirt.  I had just completed mile one, turned off the pavement and onto a small trail, and somehow went from being upright to planted firmly on the ground.  My left knee and both palms kept me from burying my face in the dust.  I don't know how I arrived in that position.  I came around a turn and then I was on the ground.  I sat there for a minute trying to figure it out.  While I gathered my thoughts, the pain in my knees became apparent.  It seemed I only skinned them slightly but there was also some road rash. 
One mile...was I going to cry?!  I felt all weepy and foolish.  I wanted to pull out my cell phone and call...Jay?  I could hear myself as if I had actually dialed and he had said, hello.
"I fell down," I would say.
"What did you do?"
"I fell down," lower lip trembling, eyes filling with tears.
"Where are you?"
"I ran a mile and fell down."
At that point I could see him holding the phone out to look at it in disbelief, roll his eyes, and shake his head.
That was when I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to call.
I gathered my embarrassed self up and decided to walk back home.  Oh, what the heck, I could jog it back.  It was only another mile.
Then I past my turn off and kept going.  I knew my knees would lock up on me if I didn't keep them moving after the fall anyway.  I kept on running and started to feel pretty good.  I went past four miles and caught a glimpse of my knees.  Uh Oh, oh well, I didn't have much farther to go.  There weren't that many cars that would see the runner with black shorts and bloody knees.  Or were there?
I kept going and finished 5 miles. I can't explain the ground licking except I knew the last two days at work have been exhausting.  Maybe I was dragging my feet and that trail had some uneven stones.  Sure, that was it.
I'll shower now and take a better look at my knees.  They can't be that bad if I finished the five mile run, right?  Now I'll have to explain to Jay what happened to my knees.
"I fell down."
TT       

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT