Monday, October 25, 2010

Nook

You may recognize this device.  It isn't a brand new piece of technology but one that has been out for a little while that I have tried to ignore.  It is true I didn't need this particular toy since I had a small mini-acer computer that I could download and read eBooks.  I had been doing fairly well doing that until recently when the mini computer was taken and I didn't have it anymore.
Of course this lack of having my eBook reader device would happen at a time that my voraciousness for reading kicked in and I was without the luxury of having a device that could download a book instantly.  It seems I had gotten a little spoiled with finishing one book and being able to instantly start another simply by choosing and clicking.  I found without any way to do that I had also strayed from having a stash of ""next books to read" on my nightstand.  I would always have a extra paper book waiting when I finished one.  This wasn't the case anymore.  I was reading my loved paper copies of books again but found I was purchasing them one at a time and was without a book at times until I could make it to the bookstore.
That is exactly what happened yesterday.  I finished a trilogy (which I had purchased one book at a time) and was without another book to start.  I had a list of two books I was thinking of purchasing and after an afternoon of several errands I finally made it to the bookstore to pick them up.
Then the frustration started to come over me when they didn't have a copy of either book I thought I wanted.  I checked the aisles and went through each authors assortment they had on the shelves and I had read everything they had to offer but not the particular books I was looking for.  Drat! 
That is when Jay stepped in.  We had run these errands together and he isn't one to browse a bookstore the way I sometimes can get lost there for hours.  That was one reason I had narrowed the list to two books thinking I would pick up one or the other quickly.  Now I had a feeling I might be leaving without a book at all.
He asked about the eReader.  I told him I really didn't know that much about it and I was only going to spend 10 bucks on a paperback not $150.  But he wanted to know more...and I did tell him the eBooks are sometimes cheaper.  I knew there was a brand new hardcover book that lists for $28 that I would pay about $16 but could get it for $10 as an eBook.  I knew on average most eBooks are $2 or a little less than the paper.  So he says...you read about 100 books a year (how did he know that?) so the device would pay for itself by that time, you wouldn't have to drive to the store and you don't have to worry about the store not having the books you want.
But, but...I wasn't going to spend....but what?...but I can get it...but...what about...but, but...



But, but nothing. I bought it.


I bought it, I charged it up, I got that hardcover in eBook for $9.99.  Nothing like having a stash of books on my nightstand again.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT