Sunday, October 17, 2010

Beef and White Bean Stew

I bugged out of my long run yesterday morning.  Circumstances lent themselves to allow me to somehow rationalize that I could miss it.  I had several options for this reasoning.  My running friend wasn't feeling up to it, I had put in a month of good training and it was dipping down into some lower temperatures.
That cooler air was what made me decide to wait to run a little later.
Instead I changed out of my running gear (yes, I was ready to go, then wasn't) and headed to do some grocery shopping instead.  Early mornings on weekends are the best(est) time to go.  NO one is ever there that early and I can usually get it done pronto.
I didn't have a list and no menu ideas but the cooler temp made the beef shank look like a good choice.  Soup, stew?  hmmm....This is what I came up with.
I guess I am calling it Beef and White Bean Stew.  I used the same technique of slow cooking the beef shank (browning it first and sweating some onion, carrot, celery and garlic cloves) in water and then after two hours or more straining the broth.

I started cooking the white bean separately but then added them into the strained broth and meat and cooked some more adding some seasoning. 
After it was all cooked and bubbling nicely I added some fresh ingredients to it.
I used some quartered red potatoes, celery, carrots, cabbage and leeks.
It was hearty and good and could chase away the hunger and the cooler temperatures.  Nothing fancy but filling and nothing like starting with your own fresh stock!

I need to run now.  Literally.  I ended up with a short 4 miler yesterday at about 6:00 pm.  I need to at least try to do something longer this morning!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT