Saturday, December 13, 2014

Panettone - Part One

I started some baking this morning.

This is getting organized with my ingredients galore. I'm starting with this panettone I can't help getting excited over. It's a multi-process task beginning with a sponge or a starter with 1/3 cup of warm water to activate the yeast for 10 minutes...the first dough activates yeast in 3 tablespoons of warm water...
The sponge on the left is ready so I mix 1/2 cup of flour into it and let it rise for 30 minutes.

Ah, yes! That is what I want to see. In 30 minutes my sponge has doubled. Now it's time to go on to my 1st dough. Add the risen sponge to 1st dough yeast and add 2 eggs, 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Yes. Mix it all together.

Now leave it covered for an hour. Let's see how that works out.

Yes. Yes...an hour later and it's now looking like this above! So far, so good. Now the second dough. Take this first dough and add (yes, this is rich) 3 egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 tsp salt, 2 sticks (yeah-2) unsalted butter, 3 cups flour.

Mix together in your mixer, then scrape down all the sides and paddle and replace the paddle with the hook attachment. Mix at medium with the hook attachment for about 10 minutes then transfer into an oiled bowl. Tightly cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours, and up to 24 hours.
 Goodnight, sweet prince. I'll see you in the morning...to be continued.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT