Monday, December 8, 2014

'Tis the season

The weekends are to recharge, spend time getting to the things that don't seem to get done during the week, and then have the moments to take it in and stay still. After tumbling into that free time, rushing headlong into those put-aside activities, it should come to that peaceful point to sit back and take a look around at all that was done.

It was about holiday decorating this weekend. I have collected a dated holiday ornament every year since 1978. If I do the quick math (let me open that calculator) that totals 36 ornaments which I would line up in their boxes on a prominent shelf near the tree. There were some years I bought more than one because I just had to have a few more that I liked that year. Every year I displayed the ornaments and joked with my boys how I would decorated my entire tree with them after they were grown and moved away. I've done that a few years already. I've taken each and every one of those ornaments out of their original boxes, put them on the tree for the holiday season, and them replaced them all back to their safe places. It was pretty special.

I decided this year I couldn't use them. Some of the boxes are getting soft, some of the ornaments are starting to show their age, and it didn't seem wise to handle them as much as it takes to use them in this way. I went out and found simple, ordinary ornaments to fill the tree (all half off-how 'bout that).

The tree is up. It's glittery and great. It didn't take long and all the original dated ornaments are safe. I got the things I didn't have time during the week done and still had time to sit and find a special moment to stay still. I'm feeling very recharged.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT