Monday, November 1, 2010

Back to doing

The first thing I need to do after an accomplishment of reaching 500 posts is to keep writing.  I couldn't bear the thought of stopping there.  I never started out thinking, "I am going to write 500 posts."  It was never my intention to have a quantity of posts.  I had no idea I would even come close to any numbers of that sort.  I would have bailed on this entire project (and almost did many times) long ago or even more recently without another thought if I had any idea what I was doing when I started. It might have worked in my favor to not have a clue what all this blogging was about when I started.  Learning things as I go sometimes has worked to my advantage.
The one fact I discovered is that it has become one of the three things that are my chief free time things I love to do.  Quite honestly, when I am not at work I spend all or the majority of my free time doing one of these three things.  Theses things are running, reading and writing.
Basically, I am a bore.  I do things that one person does on their own.  I would rather go out and have a nice long run for two hours instead of sitting and watching a movie because I don't think I will appreciate the movie as much.  I would much rather read the book the movie was based on, which I will scrutinize on how the author brings it to life on the pages so I can use and remember while I am writing.  All of these things are very solitary but they all seem to add something to each of the other things that I do.
You wouldn't think running would have anything to do with writing but I have found some of my running achievements have pushed me beyond what I might have thought I was able to do with my writing.  Achieving certain things are definitely encouraging but sometimes it takes one of my bad runs, which happen out of the blue, to help me put things into perspective.  There are times that no matter how good I feel and think I might do, I have runs that are hard and tough. I can't always figure out exactly why when I had been doing so well.  It's the same with some of the things I've written.  Some pieces can definitely be described as "bad runs" and I have to keep in mind that sometimes that's just what happens.  I could say the same when I have read a book that I thought was not up to par and yet there it is published and being sold in major bookstores.  How lucky for that author that they had a bad run and still got the book out there!  Maybe some of those runs aren't really so bad.  I can't give up the things that are important to me because of one bad run.
So good or bad and everthing in-between will keep on happening.  It's nice to reach those imaginary goals that surprise me when I reach them, like 500 posts or reading 99 books or adding 3000 words or running 14 miles.  I need to take those few minutes to acknowledge the real work that goes on behind it all.
 
But those few minutes are up.  Time to get back to the doing.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT