Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Before the month is over

The month of November will be slipping into the past more quickly than I had imagined.  The few pages of the calendar left will be peeled one by one and it will soon be time to move on to the last month of this year.  But before I move into the next month there are a few days to be filled starting today.
The turkey has been bought and defrosted - a good sized 22 1/2 pounder.  This afternoon will begin a round of baking including corn bread which will need to sit overnight to be used in the stuffing for tomorrow.  Since the oven needs to be free most of the day tomorrow for the enormous bird to roast it will be utilized today to also bake pies.  Our traditional choices are pumpkin and apple.
The shopping was done jointly last Saturday afternoon.  Sonny (my oldest son) had sent me the menu via e-mail a few days before.  I perused the long and never changing list.  It was all there, same as each year but he had a note at the top..."Am I forgetting a veggie?"
Forgetting a veggie?  I scanned down the list again and no, nope.  Even if we had forgotten one, would we miss it?  We must have the most extensive list of food items for one day for the fewest people known to mankind.  But it's tradition and this menu doesn't change.
We shopped together separating the items that I needed to start on and items that could go to his house.  You see, it seems as sons grow and move into their own homes some traditions change but really stay the same.  We will have Thanksgiving at Sonny's house but I am still cooking up most of the items.  He has become a great help in the kitchen and will also be working his way around some saucepans so there is an added bit of fun there.  I will have the pies baked, veggies prepped and turkey roasting at my own house in my own oven.  On Thursday, those items will be transported to Sonny's house and the kitchen duties will continue.  It worked well the first time we did this last year so I don't see any stumbling blocks this year.
So the question that begs to be answered.  Why not just do it all at his house or the other way around?  There is a simple answer.  I have a lack of seating area and my kitchen is tiny.  I wish I could gather more people around in that one room but it doesn't work well.  I start the cooking at my home because I am the only one that is awake during those early morning hours.  It allows everyone to sleep in on Thursday morning while I am busy in the kitchen.  Then later when everyone is awake, it's a short drive to trade ovens. 
So a feast before the month is over is in order.  The list has been checked and preparations are ready to be started.  The plans are laid out.
I am looking forward to the baking and the basting.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT