Saturday, November 27, 2010

Early bird

Isn't it three weeks now since we did this move your clocks thing?  You know, the fall back and get an extra hour of sleep and it turns dark before you have a chance to think twice about doing anything late in the day?
Yes, yeah.  This is three weeks already.  I am sure of it.  I just checked the blooming calendar! 
Then how come I can't get my internal clock to accept it?  What's going on that I am still waking up at 4-4:30 am and can't sleep anymore?  I am trying really hard to stay up later in the evening to make things adjust.  Believe me - that can be a chore for me at times.  I can only watch so much television and I usually turn it off before programs are over (since mostly they are all so very lame - my opinion - sure you have yours).  I have been reading quite a bit again lately.  I have torn through a mountain of books (realistically - maybe just a small mound) to keep my evening time occupied.  The Nook I am using gives me an all time access to the bookstore so my book stash is now readily available and contained in the device instead of on my nightstand.  The only problem I have encountered with the Nook is when I fall asleep reading.  When I would fall asleep before the worst thing that would happen is I would wake up with a paperback open on my face (sometimes hardbacks - depending).  Now if I am reading with the device and start to fall asleep my hands will give way and it will knock me in the forehead and it's a bit heavier and more solid.  Katunk!  Quick reflex to open eyes, regrip, read a few more sentences.  Katunk!  Open eyes, regrip, try that sentence again.  Try the next sentence, what did it say?...Katunk!  Okay the forehead is going to bruise - put the book away.  How many times do I need to get knocked in the forehead to get the idea?!  Stubborn little cuss, time to stop reading, put the book away and go to bed.  But then I fall fast asleep and wake up too early in the morning.  It's a vicious cycle.
So I get up.  I come upstairs.  I know it's too cold to run even when the sun starts to come out.  I mean, come on, it's 28 friggin' degrees right now!  It's a day off!  What to do and more importantly how to re-adjust the internal clock to match that of the whole of society?
Wait - is that it?  What does the whole of society care when I fall asleep and go to bed?  I would speculate that percentage to be at approximately, oh, let me see, zip, zilch, zero, nothing, nada, none, minus nothing.  So there it is.
It's just me being my own non-conformist self again.  I can't even follow the rules for daylight savings time.  Should have known.  Wow, 6:11 am.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT