Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Slight difference

I have a few things going on right now.  My comfort reaction would be to pull up stakes and go into hibernation since this would be the time of year for me to attempt that.  Once the weather takes any turn for colder temperatures I have a tendency to shut down and become cloistered.  Or as cloistered as possible while still having to interact with the world outside.
So far, this year, this beginning of this season, I have noticed a slightly marked difference in my reaction to this change of season.  I am having a slightly (and I admit slight) but noticeable difference.  I have put less importance on how it is governing what I am doing or will do. 
Somehow this running business of mine has broken through a few barriers I have put up.  Somehow the sheer routine of gearing up and heading out has done something to put weather as an aside or sub-category on my long list of why I can'ts instead of it being at the top of the list.  I admit to having to make some work arounds this week just to stay focused.  I am heading to the gym instead of running out of doors.  It is a work around but it isn't stopping me which is something that would have been my only option in the past.  I mean, come on...it's going to be the middle of November and I am running the longest distance ever?  In November?
The best part is that I know I will be there Sunday morning no matter what the weather might be.  I am staying focused on the fact that I expect it to be an experience, an accomplishment, a variance from any comfortable decisions I may have made in the past.  And it's not just about running but I am seeing the slightest spill over into other interests.
I have a few things going on and for once, just because the weather is changing, I am not shutting down shop.  I am finding work arounds and meeting challenges and most importantly, I am finding the fun in what I am doing.
Oh, and now that I've made myself aware of it, I really need to do more about that list of why I can'ts.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT