Thursday, September 2, 2010

The word was mental

I am getting overpowering urges to run.  I can almost feel myself getting out there, stretching my muscles (what might be left of them), and doing some serious pavement pounding.  I am thinking that would be ecstasy.  At least that is the way it has been going around in my mind.  I haven't even finished a weeks worth of fast acting anti-inflammatory pills the doctor has me taking and my follow-up appointment with him isn't until next Wednesday afternoon.  I will still have more anti-inflammatory pills to take after that but right now...I want to strap on my running shoes and just go.
I had done extremely well of putting the smallest thought of running out of my head.  I was hurt and knew if I wanted to get back to it I would need to give it time no matter how hard that might be.  My approach was not to let myself think about it.  I didn't allowed myself to dwell on it and if a thought crept up I would find something else to occupy my time.  It's much harder to do than it sounds. 
But now with an almost all clear given my the doctor - almost - I am chomping at the bit a bit, so to speak. 
I made the mistake of voicing it to Jay.
"I want to go run."
"What did the doctor say."
"He said my foot is fine."
"Yes, but he also wants to see you again."
"But he said my foot is fine."
"Didn't he also say something else...like you were crazy."
"He didn't exactly say I was crazy.  Crazy wasn't the word he used."
"Really.  And what did he actually say."
"Mental...he mentioned something about mental."
"Mental, crazy...just wait to run until after you have your follow up visit."

Agghh, well,  just a few more pills, just a few more days.  Right...don't think about it.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT