Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Runner

I didn't think about it until much later.  It's been a little over a day to be exact but then I remembered.  I caught myself thinking back to the time after completing my recent Sunday 5K and introductions to new people had been made.  There was someone that asked me, or stated, I'm not quite sure since it stopped me for a second.
"You are a runner."
At that moment my brain froze for a second and I think I opened my mouth without any sound coming out of it.  Then my brain engaged and I had to admit that yes, yes, I am a runner.
I thought I had already dealt with that in my mind and yet the admission to a stranger caught in my throat for that brief second.  Still.  The fleeting impulse to dispel the fact passed much more quickly and out of my head but I am remembering the feeling that statement had on me at that moment.  It was that flash of doubt and then expelling it.  It's a wonder I would even think it anymore and yet there it was.  I'm not a runner, am I a runner?  How much more do I need to do to prove it to myself?
But I have to remember this time it only lasted an instant.  It was there and then gone.  It entered and exited at the same amount of lightning speed.  It didn't seem like that at the time.  It seemed to hover and dwell there for much more moments longer, but it didn't.  It really didn't.
I knew the answer to the statement/question.  I just didn't expect to be asked/recognized as such and it caught me a little by surprise. 
All-in-all, it's not such a bad thing to finally know - or to be.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT