Thursday, September 16, 2010

Not really lagging

I checked my Nike+ site that stores all my runs and although I am glad to be able to be putting something up on the boards again I realize I am very far behind.  I am very far behind if I hadn't been stalled by an injury, but my notorious mind is trying to make me think that doesn't count.  It is giving me news flashes that I only have so much time left until November and that isn't enough time to train.  It isn't enough time if I am going to get to my original goal but I need to keep focused on just being able to get out there and run.  I don't need to worry about anything else going on including November.
I need to back away from the brain.  It got me into trouble twice already with that kind of thinking.  I was out 4 weeks in June and then another 5 weeks the last of July and all of August.  The trainer at work thought the 10 miles I hauled last Saturday was too much but I begged off with telling her I went really slow and it felt really good.  I distracted her by letting her know the next day I had come in second in my age group a that 5K and was able to get her off the "too much" subject.  Sly me.
It's time to count the blessings.  On my Nike+ site I am still positioned at 28 in a challenge with 203 virtual, although real, participants.  The goal of the challenge was to run 210 miles.  It started 4/13/10 and goes through 9/30/10.  It encompasses both of my no running times and yet I am at 284.36 miles.  It makes me wonder where I would be if I had been able to keep running.  But then...look where I am even with the down time.
My short term goal is to run 20 miles this week and I am at 11.42.  I need about 9 miles to go and have until Saturday - I always start my weeks on Sunday and end on Saturdays.  That shouldn't be a problem since I plan on running again this afternoon and for sure on Saturday morning.
I want to tell my brain to hush for now.  I won't let it spoil and take away all the things I am enjoying about running.  I just won't. 
I am not really so far behind now, am I.
TT
----------------------
Runners World Thought for the Day: 
A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.
Steve Prefontaine, American middle and long-distance runner

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT