Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hole situation

"I need a needle and thread,” I said while taking a few days off by the water a few weeks ago.
I had found a hole in the toe of one of the running socks I use. I haven't had a hole in the toe of my socks for as long as I can remember. Yet here I was staring down at a small circle of fabric that had separated the meshed pieces of yarn to expose a small portion of my big toe underneath. However that might have happened, it had been a very long time and I reverted to what I guess is now the oldest way of thinking. I must have been showing my extreme age when I looked down, saw a hole in my sock, and my thought was not to shrug my shoulder and let it go or to throw the pair out and grab a new. No. I looked down at a fairly new pair of Powersox, which I only use for running, and thought to fix them. I didn't think to wear them as-is with a hole or to pitch them into the trash. My old brain registered fix the sucker...I need a needle and thread.
But of course, I was away and didn't have what I needed to fix the socks on the spot. I was considering going out to purchase those items to make swift work of the exceedingly minor problem I seemed to be having.
But thinking back on this situation it seems I only have this problem with MY socks. I know there have been numerous times I have spotted holes in Jay's socks while sorting laundry and I do not have a qualm about putting them into the trash. But in my defense, he must have along the lines of 25 pairs of socks at any given time! I have three pairs of Powersox that I had just recently purchased and that isn't enough to make it to the next laundry day with as many workout's I've been tackling lately (yes, even while on vacation).
But what I did that day on vacation was to put the socks with the hole aside, grab another pair I had packed and go ahead with my run. Of course, the placing of the damaged socks aside was my solution to the hole (whole?) situation. The facts were pretty simple:
• I had a hole in my sock
• I was still going to run
• I only have three pairs
• I wasn’t going to throw the sock away
• I needed to fix it
• It couldn’t be fixed right away
It was a simple process. I took the socks home, grabbed my needle and thread and made quick work of the messed up sock.
You can see my handiwork on top portion of the lower sock. I know no one would ever notice the stitching because no one ever sees me in my socks without shoes and even if that were to occur no one now-a-days would ever think that anyone would have mended their socks!
I really can't change the old-fashioned age situation I am in.  That is just a fact and there is no running from it.

But then, well, I guess I have to admit that another simple remedy would be for me to go out and buy more pairs of Powersox!
Geez, old people.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT