Saturday, July 24, 2010

Writing messages

I am not sure what tricky part of fate had me reading two fiction novels back-to-back that were in no way related but somehow the authors picked writers as a main or sub-character in their stories. I understood that would be a sensible thing to be done by a writer since they could identify more easily with that type of character since they live it and could draw from it quite easily. The problem (if it’s really a problem – it’s debatable) with the two books I just read was that these long-time, many times-over published authors slipped writing tips into these fictional stories by way of these characters.
I had mentioned the first before in a recent previous post. Dean Koontz had plugged a paragraph into the beginning of his novel about outlines and letting characters develop the story and let them take it where it should go. The book also had the character express his lack of interest in the publicity interviews and marketing that surrounded his newly published book. By the end of the thriller, after the main characters had survived near death by the serial killer book critic (don’t laugh – that’s from the book) the author continues to write but throws his manuscripts into a trunk and writes for the pleasure of it instead of publishing. I wonder how much of that is what the true author of the book is feeling and not the character in the story. I wonder if anyone who just happened upon this book without reading the kazillion other books of his that I have read would have picked up on this.
So then the second book was Sue Grafton’s #21 in her series of which I’ve read all. She had a sub-character become a writer in the story and she spent a good chapter having him struggle through the need of writing daily and about things he could connect with. She had him putting words on a page without thought of what they were or how they would sound but just letting it flow and getting a feel for the process. If this wasn’t another direct hit to me about writing then I’m not sure what the chapter was all about. This was the bad guy in the book and the fact of his writing didn’t pertain to the plot. It didn’t take anything away from the book but it kept staring me in the face. What?! Two now? Authors are slipping subliminal writing messages into their fiction novels?! I was looking for an escape into a story and I was getting badgered by authors to get off my duff and start writing again! Was I the only one that picked up on these messages?
I am going to attempt to read another book I was just lent. It’s the next in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Yes…she is the author of the now popular HBO series True Blood. I don’t expect any writing tips from this piece of fiction, just a simple story. Although, if I hadn’t disconnected my HBO I guess I could watch Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd, who plays Eric Northman, all day long giving me writing tips. But then he already cut his hair and lost all of his Sampson strength and power over me.
Well, good thing. I think I’ve got some writing to do instead.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT