Saturday, July 3, 2010

Reboot

I should have spent more on my laptop. That might not be the answer but I certainly am having my share of computer frustration. There are mornings it just doesn't want to get going. I can't always tell when it will turn to a grinding, sluggish, box of gears. It will happen randomly and usually when I just need a quick, get in, check a site, and get out. Then it will be completely connected yet tell me it isn't or spend forever bringing up a site. When this happens and I have time, I will shut down and reboot. That is the way to fix it, isn’t it?
That's what I did this morning. I shut it down and re-booted. Instead of coming back to life it told me there were some problems and did I want it to repair the problems? Well, yeah...click repair. It's Saturday morning and I have some time. I let it do whatever it was going to do and it brought up a window with a color bar moving from left to right showing me it was doing something. I think it was just a misdirection to make me think it was moving forward when it was actually not doing anything except concentrating on keeping that color bar moving. I got closer and read what the window said...Your computer was unable to start. Gee, thanks, like I didn't know that. If problems are found, start-up repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might re-start several times during the process. How? It couldn't start up the first time. But I'll give it a chance; it says it will be fixed automatically. But it's taking a long time and there has been no re-starting but only that color bar moving and moving. Okay, I'm going down to refill my coffee.
I get back and it's still going. I notice it now says...attempting repairs. So I keep waiting. And waiting and waiting. Do I just cancel this? It doesn't seem to be doing any more than when I tried to re-boot! It's circling its own loop again, it's got to be! So I go and click cancel and a new window pops up over the other and it says (no kidding). The current operation cannot be cancelled. Oh, right. Of course not. It's trying to automatically fix the problem, sure, right, I got it. I keep waiting. I keep watching the color bar. Maybe it will know I tried to cancel and it will hurry.
I am not sure if it really hurried or not. I am not sure if it found the problem. I am not sure if I intimidated it or if it knew it was in over its head. A window finally replaced the original color bar window and said, Cannot fix the problem. Do you want to send a note to Microsoft then shut down and re-start?
What a bunch of hooey! I don't care if Microsoft gets a note. I'm back where I started only much later.
I should have spent more on my laptop.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT