Friday, July 9, 2010

More books

I finished my Koontz novel and knew I would need another book to start reading.  That is what I do...finish one, start another.  I went searching on-line and found that I have at least four books in series that I have kept up with that are new.  Oh, wait...I just thought of another and I will need to add it to my list to look up.  Yes!  It's there.
Sue Grafton, U is for Undertow, #21 in the series, a lend me and $12.99 as an eBook.
Lee Child, 61 hours, #14 in the series, not a lend me and $9.99 as an eBook.
John Sanford, Storm Prey, #20 in the series, a lend me and $14.99 as an eBook.
Preston & Child, Fever Dream, #10 in the series, not a lend me and $12.99 as an eBook.
J.D. Robb, Fantasy in Death, #30 in the series, a lend me and $12.99 as an eBook.
...but all the first four are still in Hardback and the last one just went paperback so I can pick that one up for $8.00 at the store and have a real paper copy.
The # in series indicates how many previous books the author as written using their recurring characters and I've read all of those already (yes, in order).  The lend me feature is something that allows you to lend your eBook to someone else for 14 days that also has an eReader.  Not all eBooks have the lend me feature and they seem to be priced a few dollars more, I'm not sure how it's decided.  All of the first four books are still in Hardback so the prices are pretty fair considering I can read them now for much less.  Most are going for somewhere around $19.00 - $20.00 or so.  I can download them instantly without having to make a trip to the store itself when I find myself finishing a book and not having another to open and start immediately.  Then I got an email from Barnes & Noble that said just show the eBook you are reading and they will give you a free coffee!
Okay...trip to the bookstore.  I can pick up my paperback, enjoy a coffee for free and decide which eBook I want to download first.  I know they would rather I buy their Nook and they have dropped their price on that to $149.00 but I'm holding out a little more.  I'm still not convinced this is the way to go and my mini-acer works well for free right now.
I will need that paperback to read while outside in the sunshine close to the water since I'll be taking two days off (Monday & Tuesday) to escape to my personal paradise.  I know that I can't see the screen on my mini in bright sunlight and I don't think it's a good idea to get it too close to water.  But then, even though the Nook is designed to be read outside under those conditions, I am not sure I would want to take the chance of getting my $149.00 reading gadget destroyed by sand and/or water.  I'll stick with the $8.00 paperback.
Well, that's settled...#30 in the series...here I come.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT