Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ouch!!

I feel so foolish. I don’t even know how to start or if I want to. I guess I can only just go ahead and say it. I went out and hurt myself.
Oh no, it really isn’t anything serious. It is an embarrassment is what it is. And a total frustration because of where I am with my running and now…
I sprained my ankle. There – there it is. Both my ankle and my pride are more than sorely bruised. I think the doctor said I had to stay off it for 5 to 6 weeks. I think the doctor said I need to take it easy and put it up as much as possible and some other stuff I didn't even hear once he started talking weeks. How could I do this to myself now? I was clipping right along. I was getting so many more miles in than I ever thought possible! Why this?!
I was finished with my run yesterday afternoon at the gym. I was feeling pretty good and ambling on my way to the locker room to fetch my gym bag to leave. Somehow – I don’t know how - I managed to miss a middle step leading from one area of the gym to the other when my right ankle curled under me and gave way. I went down with all my weight on top of it in a most awkward and piercingly painful way. There were only three steps! How did I miss one! The good thing was I didn't have far to fall but I fell. I fell on top of my turned ankle! I just crumpled myself into a small heap there on the floor.
Then people hurried over and starting hovering over me. I wanted to get up but it wasn’t going exactly the way I would have liked. The way I would have liked was that my face would have turned scarlet (which it did anyway) and I would have gotten up and shrugged and walked away. I had to be helped to my feet with someone on each side of me! They hobbled me over into an office where I propped my leg up and was given an ice pack. I sat there for a while thinking all the things I didn't want to think about. How utterly ridiculous! Those steps have been there forever. How did I miss one out of three steps? I was doing so well with my running!
They let me sit for a while as I realized I needed to call someone to get me. I drive a stick shift and the gym associates didn’t give me the impression they were going to let me out of there on my own. I was able to call a friend to get me and it wasn’t long before she showed up and insisted on the doctor. I agreed because I thought it might prove to be nothing and the doctor would say it would be fine in a few days. No!
Now I have a bum ankle and will miss my runs and need to use crutches. I took today off from work but I still need to retrieve my car and the swelling hasn't quite gone down all the way yet...Can you believe this!?!

Okay, enough of this nonsense. Not a thing I just said happened to me. None of it...well maybe the part that I was feeling pretty good after my run. The whole rest of it is fiction. It is April 1st, isn’t it? aka April Fools day?
I feel so foolish.
Do you?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT