Thursday, April 8, 2010

Only one song?

I listen to lots of music and different kinds of music. I usually buy it on iTunes so I can download it to my iPod and use it with my Nike+ sensor when I run. I find much of the music I purchase by listening to Pandora.com where I can listen for free and create a station by entering an artist I know I like and it will play other similar artists. I get to hear new artists and then decide to buy an entire CD if I like.  (So far you would think I was getting paid by ads displayed on this site with all the different products I've mentioned- but no - I don't have that widget on this site and I am not trying to endorse any of them).  But back to the music.
I have been able to purchase my last 5 CDs this way with an outstanding success rate. I have enjoyed every last CD I have purchased recently. I have enjoyed all of them until this last one. Success has ended. I went about it exactly the same way and ended up with a dud.
I listened to this particular CD the first time and I am so used to them being so good I was allowing myself to be delusional about the fact that it wasn't any good. Wasn't any good?!? It was awful! But I thought not. I needed to listen again.
I gave it another listen, then another and another. What was I thinking!? It was becoming a prolonged form of torture and it had 19 tracks! I was going way beyond giving it a change. But it couldn't be bad. All the other CDs had been so good!
The artist had great talent at the piano. I listened to certain interludes on the keyboards and it was just wonderful. But wait - that voice sounds like a screeching cat. Nah, that’s allowed now a days. Nobody’s voice is perfect. Sure, right. Screeching cats are all the rage now. Then I realized the lyrics were whack. I thought maybe it sounded like the artist was entertaining at a piano bar and the lyrics didn’t make any sense because it was a way to see if the audience was paying attention. But I realized I was paying attention and it was just really bad. Why was I giving it so many chances to redeem itself? Why did I keep listening to it!
I have to admit the song I heard to get me to buy the CD in the first place was good enough for me to give it a try.  Unfortunately one song a CD doesn't make.
Maybe the lyrics were just a missed attempt at being clever...I know, I know...it's a dud, give it up.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT