Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dialogue exercise

I had this thought to see if I could create something in the readers mind without the use of anything except the words the characters speak. I wanted to do it without any narrative or descriptions. It was an idea I had and I wanted to give it a try.
-------------------------------------------
“Hellooo! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in a while. What have you been up to?”
“Oh hi.”
“It’s good to see you. Are you going in?”
“I was just grabbing a cup.”
“Sooo, tell me. You’ve been hiding away. Do you have a few minutes?”
“I was going to take it to go.”
“No, come on in. Let’s sit for a minute. You can have a cup here while we catch up.”
“I should be getting back.”
“I have some time. You can stay for a few minutes, now, can’t you?”
“Well, okay.”
“Great. Don’t you love that smell. It’s just wakes you up. Let me have that Grande Caramel Brulée latté with extra cream, okay?...and let me get yours, too.”
“No, that’s fine. I can get it.”
“No, no…let her have…what was it?”
“Just a tall black.”
“That’s it? That’s all? You need to have something special.”
“No, really. I’ll get it…”
“Oh, all right. Get her a Grande black, then.” I’ll take care of it. Let’s sit over here. So where have you been hiding yourself?”
“Ahmm, I’ve been away for a while.”
“How exciting! When did you get back?”
“Just – only a week ago.”
“I don’t think I’ve seen you in over two months.”
“Yes, about that.”
“Well, tell me. What exotic place did you get to see? OH! Did you know I was planning a trip to Europe? I am so excited. I talked to the travel agent and I should be able to book two weeks without too much tug on the pocketbook. I have been thinking about going for a while. You knew that, didn’t you? I think I’ve been talking about it for ages now. Ever since my snobby cousin flaunted around how she and her husband had gone and how incredibly first class it all was. Did you get to go out of town? You needed to take some time off. Where did you go?”
“Well, it wasn’t…”
“That’s my coffee. Be right back. Can you believe this? I told them extra cream. You heard me right? Does this look like extra to you?”
“I don’t know.”
“It’s not. I get these all the time. Probably shouldn’t with all the calories and all but what’s a little extra now and then. I know I could afford to lose a few. I should stop making these trips here. But then I wouldn’t have run into you. But you look good. You were a little thin last time I saw you, but you look good now.”
“Thanks.”
“I could use some help to drop a few before I head out to my trip. I sure would like to look just great. I’m mean, really right? Isn’t that a good idea?”
“Yea, if you think…”
“You need to fill me in on your secret.”
“What!?”
“Your secret.”
“What do you mean?”
“How you lost the weight. What did you think I meant? You have another secret I should know about.”
“No. No.”
“You sure? You don’t sound so sure. But, oh well, it’s nothing isn’t it. Must have caught you in-between thoughts, didn’t I?”
“Yes.”
“So drink up. It’s good to run into you like this. Now where was I?”
--------------------
TT  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT