Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A little thin

It seems to me like I am missing something that I had become very attached to. I have found myself coming to my own blog, this space right here, and thinking… “Why isn’t anything new posted?” It feels like somehow in the recent past the words would appear here daily all on their own. Somehow, every day words would fill a space and appear. It feels odd to me when that isn’t the case so often of late.
But I am beginning to get those words to fill a space. They are just not appearing here. In fact, the words that I have managed to get down on my book could fill more than the daily posts I have recently missed posting here. So I have to believe I am still progressing on this writing journey even if the path has taken another course. And boy, this course isn’t easy.   
I was beginning to feel like I had the makings for a pot of confusion with this book. All the ideas I originally thought my characters would be or look like, started to alter as they appeared on my written page. I was becoming unsure of how I was presenting them and if I was jumbling small facts about them so early in the game. I realized I needed to take a short break. It wasn’t to stop writing but to organize my method of organization. I have had this story in my head for so long I wasn’t confident that what I was writing was the same as the notes I had taken for myself.
I did stop and read through what I had written for each character. I wrote and underlined each characters name and listed the characteristics I had written for each under it.  What I found was what I suspected I had done.  I had confused some small details. It wasn't anything too big or glaring but I knew I couldn’t let myself do that. I am the type of reader that finds those small detail mistakes in books and there could be no way I would allow myself to do that with my own. This may be a first draft right now but I have to have some confidence that I am not already making detail mistakes.
I have worked with this idea too long to not have a vested interest in at least creating a somewhat clear first draft when it comes to the facts about each character. I have become very fond of this story. It is probably too early to say such a thing but it is already something that has been around longer than this blog. Maybe not in the concrete, I can see it there every day, kind of way. That will take time and I will need to continue to work hard to get it there. But as I keep working I see parts of it happening no matter how thin it seems right now.
I guess the best way to describe it is to quote my favorite character from Winnie the Pooh who said it so well…
Eeyore: It’s not much of a tail, but I’m sort of attached to it.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT