Saturday, April 10, 2010

One year - 365 posts

Today. Yes.

Today I have reached one full year of blogging. Today I have also reached a total of 365 posts within that time frame. Today I can officially say I have a post for every day of the past year.
This is a personal accomplishment for me. I didn't realize when I started out that this blog would become the powerful tool it has become. It has become a discipline for my writing.
I knew a year ago I needed a way to trick myself into removing the obstacles I had put in front of myself to keep me from writing. I knew that if I wanted to become a better and more confident writer I had to find a way to make myself accountable for writing every day or as close to that as possible. I had to find a way of breaking my terrible habit of not being able to write two paragraphs or two sentences without editing those same two for months on end. I knew the first rule of writing is that I had to write.
So I started this blog with the intention that I would write and not allow myself to go back and edit. Once I posted I could not go back and re-do, I could only go on to another. And I went on, and on and then on again. I stopped the incessant editing. I became better at organizing my thoughts. I tried some ideas that worked brilliantly and some that fell flat. And then I went on and wrote some more.
I have learned more in this year then I ever thought would have been possible. I did not realize that my crazy method would prove to have worked so well. And it is because of how well I have done right here with my tool that I am flooded with mixed emotions. It has helped me do what I set out to do and I am happy and comfortable with it here.  Yet I know it has also stolen away time on a higher priority that I need to concentrate on.  I have over 6800 words on a book I never seem to have time to write since I am spending time here.
It has become a simple matter of using the discipline I have created to go on with the book I need to continue writing and that this blog has taught me I can do.
In my original first post I talked about being crazy enough or caring enough and doing a whole lot more. It's time for me to do a whole lot more on something else. I need to again remove the obstacles I have put in front of myself to allow me to do what I need to do.
I will not stop posting here but I will not spend time here that I feel I should be spending writing on my book. I will not write a post on this blog about how long it has been since I’ve written because I will still be writing even if it's not here. 
I have 365 posts in a year since I started this blog. It Coulda’ been a whole lot less but I made it into A whole lot more…
TT
-------------------
Original first post from one year ago 4/11/09 - http://tessatoday.blogspot.com/2009/04/coulda.html

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Tessa. I always knew you could do it.
-chhr

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT