Thursday, February 20, 2014

No fail

I was surprised by how many articles I've come across lately that are about failed resolutions.  I happened upon them completely by chance, I wasn't looking for them, and they popped up at completely different locations.  The gym had the notices up about February 18th being the day the resolutions die.  They obviously based this statement by counting their stats of people's check-ins and compared them to when they start to decline and fall off.  I could have told you the same by the availability of work-out machines that weren't available in January because of occupancy.  I can tell you how empty the place was last Friday compared to the first few weeks of the year.  It's a big difference.

I was a little more surprised when I read a writing article about failed new year's writing resolutions.  It was even more interesting that the article compared writing to exercising. It said, "Writing is a lot like exercising.  Sometimes you can't get over the mental hurdle of actually exercising when you haven't exercised in awhile.  Writing is the same way." *  It pretty much said writing is hard and you need to set a time to do it like you would set a time to exercise.  When I first read this it was like when worlds collide.  Set time to exercise, set time to write, set time to...  Yeah.  I know.  Not a thing about these articles are new to me.

I know it isn't about failed resolutions.  There is no fail.  There is only - what are the things I really want to do.  Start doing it.  Or start doing it again.  Change the plan, make a new plan, try it out, keep at it.  If you dwell in the land of failed resolutions you may never remember that you thought at some point these 'things' you wanted to do were important.  You gave them some thought and wanted to give them a try.  Revisit those important thoughts, re-mix them and do them again.  It should never be considered failed if you stopped at some point unless you don't start them up again.  There is no better time for the things you want to do than now.
It's by my timetable...not the new years.
TT
--------------------
* http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules/writing-setback-how-to-successfully-start-writing-again

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT